View Single Post
Old June 11 2013, 04:13 AM   #885
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

teacake wrote: View Post

OR they were thinking, "you are so creepy to look at you make Neelix look good.."
Yeah, I'm sure that played into it some. There was definitely something... off... about Tuvix.

R. Star wrote: View Post

The thing of it is... Tuvok and Neelix died as it were in an accident. That's a tragedy but it's no one's fault. The unethical thing that gets to me is the notion that a military commander can just outright execute her subordinates if she perceives it as serving a greater good. Killing an innocent man, no matter the circumstances, cannot be described as ethical on any level. Janeway deciding to play god with another person's life is pretty much a supreme form of arrogance? Was it well intentioned? Probably, but that doesn't make it right. Is Tuvix a coward for not volunteering? Quite possibly so, he even said he was. But last I checked cowardice is not a capital crime. But yeah... the reset button had to be pushed. The moral dilemma of the episode was a great one, but it was also just brutal in how casually Tuvix was just tossed aside.
I don't want to belabor this, but if Tuvok and Neelix were retrievable then they hadn't really died. I feel that Janeway (while not playing God by any measure) was perhaps influenced by her long affinity with Tuvok, as well as her friendship with Neelix. Nobody's perfect. While the ending was indeed a bit "brutal", it was also a breath of fresh air. Not every Trek episode needs to end with "the greater good has once again prevailed" or the standard deus ex machina. It caught me a little off guard and was entertaining as a result.
Vulcan Logician is offline   Reply With Quote