View Single Post
Old June 11 2013, 12:17 AM   #19
Forever Your Ghoul
Vice Admiral
Re: Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post
. . . As a civilization, we tend to distrust individuals and governments that relentlessly pry into our private lives. There's no telling how a Romulan would view such behavior, however. It's entirely possible that they see the Big Brother element of the Tal Shiar as merely another means of providing security (although I doubt it). In any case, I never viewed the Romulan Commanders of The Original Series in a negative light, nor did I have a problem with Admiral Jarok, who risked his life to ensure a better future for his people.
They are still mostly scum with an openly imperialist government.
Remember that the TOS Romulans (who were introduced before the Klingons) were conceived as the good bad guys. Although warlike and ruthless, they had admirable traits like bravery, integrity, stoicism, and devotion to duty.

With the debut of ST:TNG and the Federation-Klingon alliance, the Romulans became the bad bad guys. Even the constant-surveillance stuff was taken from the Klingon Commander Kor's lines in "Errand of Mercy."
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Forever Your Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote