View Single Post
Old June 10 2013, 07:04 PM   #564
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
No I checked very closely when I saw it the second time around. We don't see the ship from the front.
Yes we do. The same overly large window appears on the refit as it did in that one brief scene where the bridge window appeared oddly enlarged to zoom in on kirk. My distinct impression was that this was a second version of the CG Enterprise model with the window shape and proportions altered and that ILM "cheated" and used the new model (shown only from the front) earlier in the movie because the same shot didn't look right using the older one.
A distinct possibility. I just don't know why they'd cheat, since they presumably didn't delete the files of the "old" model.

Ironically, it's kind of like what happened with TNG between the 4 foot and the 2/6 foot models. The 4 footer, built much later into Trek's run, looks VERY different from the 2-footer OR the 6-footer, has different textures, different proportions, different window sizes, etc.
Yeah, a very obvious difference which annoyed me back then. I used to prefer the 4-footer but now I find the 6-footer sleeker and more pleasing to the eye.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote