View Single Post
Old June 10 2013, 05:48 PM   #27
Sran
Commodore

Re: The U.S.S. Bozeman's experience?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Although it really could have done without Picard watching "Balance of Terror" on the holodeck, I thought Ship of the Line was enjoyable. It was nice to see it referenced in Cold Equations: Silent Weapons
I actually enjoyed the reenactment, as it provided fascinating insight into the differences between ship masters of Kirk's time and those of Picard's. The alpha quadrant of The Original Series was a lot like the Old West. Ships were often left to their own devices when attempting to avert a crisis. Kirk was accountable to Starfleet brass, but as far as he was concerned, whether the Federation went to war against Romulus was his decision.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I was going for time-travel in-jokes. Whitcomb was a character from Poul Anderson's first Time Patrol story. I think I just picked Parvana because the actress looked like she could be nonwhite and I wanted to add a bit of diversity. Claudia is in reference to Claudia Wells from Back to the Future, and Alisov is an indirect reference to The Time Tunnel's Lee Meriwether (who also played Catwoman, aka "Miss Kitka" Alisoff, in the 1966 Batman movie). Again, I was looking for a bit more diversity, which is why I didn't call her McGregor (Meriwether's Time Tunnel character name).
Thanks for the explanation, Christopher! I love Back to the Future, so any mention of those films makes me smile. They're probably part of the reason why I enjoy time travel stories so much.

--Sran