View Single Post
Old June 10 2013, 05:31 PM   #89
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Re: Who would have had to quit their job to look after baby Miral?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
You do understand the difference between political communism and economic communism and that they are not always intrinsically connected?

The root word is community.

Do you have something against communities?

Trip said "these people have a lot to learn about making a free society." When he saw a shanty town on the outskirts of a megacity in season one Enterprise.

Quark called Sisko a very generous land lord for not charging his bar "rent" ever.

Technology and power production are at such a magnificent surplus, that the only people who need to toil to keep the lights on are actually volunteers who want to be part of the process, ie Starfleet and other civilian services like the Government.

"Working not towards profit but for the betterment of all mankind" as Picard explained to Lilly Sloan in First Contact.

No money.

Now as to the question of democracy and voting for representation, that's a much more confusing conversation.
Yes, I do understand the difference.

And as I stated in my previous post, in the future Star Trek Universe, they have in some way found or created a new way of life where all the disadvanages of the 20th century ideologies are overcome.

But the word "communism" in almost all cases brings up the memory of the Soviet Union and the other countries where that ideology (well, at least the Marxist-Leninist interpretation of that word) were in charge and where executions and trials in the way I described it in my "Voyager turns Communist" nightmare were common. I could go into it in detail but this forum and this thread isn't the right place for it.

Teacake wrote:
Because of bad cooking? Or bad coffee?
None of it really. Just an excuse for getting rid of someone in the Communist way.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote