View Single Post
Old June 10 2013, 04:15 PM   #26
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Did Sisko ever break the Prime Directive?

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Sisko is the hardass command type. I can admire and respect that. I find it ironic however that Sisko is so abrasive about the subject of religious practices of others when he himself is a religious icons to the Bajorans.
Sisko is a Starfleet officer. His status as a Bajoran religious icon does not preclude his addressing potentially troublesome situations that arise under his command, be they situations of a religious nature or otherwise. Worf’s actions may have been consistent with Klingon beliefs, but they represented an extreme application of said beliefs. That he failed to anticipate the consequences of his behavior is his fault, and it’s not Sisko’s job to let him off the hook merely because he was undertaking a Klingon ritual.

AllStarEntprise wrote:
Now we'll hear straight from the horses mouth what exactly was said since Admiral Sisko is being a stickler about precise facts.
This comment is both childish and petty. You have incorrectly cited examples taken from various episodes to strengthen your argument. Admiral_Sisko is absolutely correct in pointing out your mistakes.

AllStarEntprise wrote:
As you'll see there are indeed limits Starfleet puts religious practice. However those protocols were not used by Sisko when he addressed Worf. When Dax tried to explain the situation Sisko retorted "At the moment I don't give a damn about, Klingon belief, religion or customs". Does he want an explanation or not?
You’ve misinterpreted Sisko’s point. The following is the conversation in his office:

Sisko: “Mr. Worf, I want you to tell me why I shouldn’t put you on the next transport out of here.”

Worf: “You are well within your right to do so.

Sisko: “I’m not talking about my rights. Answer my question.”

Worf: “Captain, I do not have an answer. I realize that my actions were in violation of Starfleet regulations…”

Sisko: “Regulations? We’re not talking about some obscure technicality, Mr. Worf. You tried to commit pre-meditated murder.”
Sisko is not disregarding Starfleet protocol in making this statement. His point is that Worf’s actions were so extreme that they violated any number of Starfleet regulations. He doesn’t cite the regulations by name, but one need not quote the rulebook in order to properly observe it. Anyone with a shred of common sense should have been able to recognize the problems presented by undertaking such a controversial ritual. That Worf appears lack common sense is his weakness, not Sisko’s.

Dax: “Benjamin, it wasn’t murder. Worf and Kurn were performing a Mauk-to’Vor ritual. It’s part of Klingon beliefs that when…”

Sisko: “At the moment, I don’t give a damn about Klingon beliefs, rituals, or customs. I have given you both a lot of leeway when it comes to following Klingon traditions. But in case you haven’t noticed, this is not a Klingon station, and those are not Klingon uniforms you’re wearing. There is a limit to how far I’ll go to accommodate cultural diversity among my officers, and you’ve just reached it.”
Once again, Sisko does not cite specific regulations, but the meaning of his statement is obvious. Whatever Worf’s religious beliefs, he chose to serve Starfleet. Starfleet’s premise is exploration, but the organization is military in nature. It’s not a democracy. Sisko is under no obligation to bend over backwards for his officers. They work for him, not the other way around. It is Worf’s responsibility to follow the orders of his commanding officer.

Although it’s unlikely Sisko issued specific orders regarding the practice of Klingon customs, it’s not difficult to understand which types of behavior he found acceptable, and which types he did not. By the time he started serving aboard Deep Space 9, Worf had been in Starfleet long enough to anticipate how his human colleagues would perceive an assisted suicide ritual. That he was unable to do so is no one’s fault but his own.

AllStarEntprise wrote:
Dax and Odo intervene and rescue Kurn before he dies. Sisko dresses down Worf. Using what I feel is his own personal biases to condemn Worf rather than the spelled out regulations that Picard, Riker and Janeway mentioned.
Worf is a Starfleet officer. He shouldn't need regulations spelled out for him. If he does, then he has no business serving aboard a Starfleet vessel or space station.

--Sran