View Single Post
Old June 10 2013, 01:21 PM   #38
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Trek II ~ Khan's Wife

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Things like compassion and love are incompatible with ambition and power.
History is full of powerful and ambitious people who passionately loved and cared for their spouses or lovers. What about Napoleon and Josephine?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Right now I'm wondering why Khan didn't simply revive his wife using his blood. But then again TWOK is filled with so many plot holes...
I guess I must have missed the scene where it was said that Khan's blood had the magical power to heal the sick and/or raise the dead.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Khan's genetic enhancements make him something of an outlier, but no one is completely without positive emotions.
They can be if they were designed to be. Remember, everything about Augments is genetically engineered and planned.

Sran wrote: View Post
as Khan and his followers believed themselves superior to everyone else, it's possible that they disregarded traditional marriage practices. Khan may have had multiple wives or consorts during his exile.
Could be, could be. The Augments are like the Nietzscheans from Andromeda, really. In both cases - the Nietzscheans even more explicitly - everything about their lives is dedicated to the love of oneself, the accumulation of power for one's self. Compassion, true caring for others, is literally an alien concept to them (one only has to read Nietzsche himself to realize that). The Nietzscheans, for example, care about family structure and marriage only so far as it ensures the continuation of their genetic line. They don't truly love their partners; they only have them because it makes more Nietzscheans. Same story here, really.
All of which, while certainly plausible, is a retcon. Even calling Khan and his followers "Augments" is a retcon. In "Space Seed," no mention was made of genetic engineering or enhancement; the "supermen" in artificial hibernation aboard the Botany Bay were the product of simple eugenics. All that Augment stuff came way later.