View Single Post
Old June 10 2013, 12:16 AM   #12
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Re: Sulu and Chekov, not in Space Seed

Christopher wrote: View Post
In DC Comics' Who's Who in Star Trek, writer Allan Asherman posited that Chekov had been assigned to engineering during "Space Seed" and led the resistance to Khan's takeover of that section. I borrowed that explanation for my novel Ex Machina, and I believe Greg Cox followed that lead in his To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh.

Of course, there are many other continuity errors in TWOK that are hard to resolve. If Khan and his band of multiethnic adult followers were stranded 15 years ago, how come all his followers are now white and in their 20s? For that matter, how come Khan himself was no longer made up to look Indian? How could Chekov and the Reliant crew have no knowledge of Khan being stranded in the Ceti Alpha system, and how could their observational skills be so inept that they couldn't tell the fifth planet from the sixth? How come the refugees had movie-era Starfleet equipment adorning their hovels (and a movie-era insignia as Khan's medallion) when they were stranded years before that paraphernalia came into use? And so on. At least one can see a valid story reason for the continuity departure with Chekov, and it's easy enough to rationalize. (Although I don't see why they couldn't have used, say, Uhura in the role instead of Chekov -- unless it's because Walter Koenig was the better screamer.)
Works for me.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote