View Single Post
Old June 9 2013, 11:02 AM   #70
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Which Star Trek movie has got the most plot holes? And the least?

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
It completey destroys story credibility.
Aw, come on. It's such a minor nitpick.

What does it call itself?
Nothing. Only other characters call it anything in the movie.

Khan was aware of how to fly a starship since "Space Seed", we saw him flying the Reliant solo at the end of the movie. It's in no way plausible that anyone without learning difficulties would mistake space for some Space Invaders-like 2D realm.
Yes it is. Intelligence is not a substitute for experience. He was trying to maneuver the ship, but although he knew about space being 3D, he didn't exploit it. I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I buy it completely.

Add to that the intelligence-insulting "code" used earlier in the movie - "hours will seem like days"
No disagreement here.

If Ceti Alpha VI isn't there anymore, how did the Reliant ever mistake Ceti Alpha V for it? Did they somehow mis-count planets when they entered the system and set a course? It makes no sense.
That makes little sense, anyway. But someone has already explained how that might happen.

If you want to believe the Genesis Device is plausible science fiction, let alone plausible within the framework of Star Trek's technology, go right ahead.
If you want to believe Warp Drive is plausible science fiction, go right ahead. Ditto for replicators, transporters, shields, artificial gravity, inertial dampening, trilithium torpedoes, wormholes, doomsday machines, bodily transmutation, telepathy, hundreds of humanoid races, "pure energy", time travel, red matter, mind transfer, sound in space, impossible space physics, the Nexus, etc. And don't get me started on Star Wars (The Force), Babylon 5 (souls), Riddick, Warhammer 40k, Dune, Starship Troopers, The Fifth Element, Doctor Who, Alien, and other sci-fi franchises. Really, the Genesis project is a bit much, but don't try to pretend it's the worst offender.

So why does Sarek want Spock's body brought to Vulcan when he meets with Kirk in his appartment, before Spock's torpedo tube is located intact on the Genesis surface?
Bad writing.

Yet they just happened to pick up Spock and leave when he was the correct age? Thats a big part of the movie hinging on a big happy coincidence.
Just like Kirk and company just happening to meet in the new movies. Just like tons of happy coincidences in all fiction. And TSFS' reveal of older Spock at the end, just before they transport off planet, is very fitting. Logic often gives way to what "feels" right in scripts.

The Onmyouza Theatre: an unofficial international fanclub dedicated to the Japanese heavy metal band Onmyo-Za.
Belz... is offline   Reply With Quote