View Single Post
Old June 9 2013, 07:17 AM   #59
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

teacake wrote: View Post
Gary7 your avatar.. omg..
Someone managed to image stabilize a turbulence scene from TNG, essentially making the camera still and allowing you to see everybody moving themselves around like old TOS days. I couldn't resist capturing Riker, while everybody else is perfectly still.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I considered SG-U the way a lot of Trek fans seem to have considered Enterprise: a misfired attempt to "freshen the brand" undertaken by people who'd been doing the thing so damned long that they couldn't actually do anything new.

So many things in SG-U looked like the producers and writers were just looking at their own past work and saying "this is so different," but by comparison with any current drama other than Stargate it was - yeah, mediocre.

SG-U wanted to be Moore's BSG, but it seemed to be the same writers as always and they just weren't good enough to improve the franchise no matter how much freedom they thought the new premise gave them.
Enterprise got off to a rocky start. I have to say I didn't start warming up to it until Season 3. If they'd gotten to that level in Season 2, I think they could have recaptured momentum and gone for a good solid 6 seasons.

By the same token, SG-U could have done the same, meaning get S1 content moving twice as fast and evolve into S2 quality midway through S1. Yes even in their best moments, I saw plenty of flaws. But there was a lot going right for it, enough that the potential was there to evolve it into something worth sustaining for at least 4+ seasons. It's a real shame they weren't given that chance. You have to watch the series more than once to get what I mean.