View Single Post
Old June 9 2013, 05:52 AM   #19
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

R. Star wrote: View Post
But yeah, as this thread demonstrates there are those who seem to think anyone who doesn't like it as much as they do are missing out on some great truth. Though likes and dislikes are subjective things to each individual person.
I don't care if the OP likes or dislikes the episode and wouldn't have bothered to respond if he had only said it was boring or had overacting or something like that.

Nor do I think there were any especially profound or groundbreaking new insights into racial injustice in the story. There was nothing said about racism in the episode that hadn't been said before in other TV series, movies, books, etc. (which is not a knock on the story, mind you).

However, I object to the rationale that it's not true science fiction because of the 50s terrestrial setting of part of the episode. I object to the notion that Star Trek shouldn't do a "drama about racism" and think it misses the point since that's been a staple of Trek storytelling (and science fiction in general) from the start.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote