View Single Post
Old June 9 2013, 05:35 AM   #75
Mutoid
Fleet Captain

View Mutoid's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

teacake wrote: View Post
Even though I bang on about wanting more women and in general prefer women characters I give Star Trek a pass on the male main leads. That is just TOS for you. Kirk and Spock were a duo the way Picard and Riker never were, chemistry and writing just made some magic with those two. I think JJ is doing some stuff towards putting more women into the supporting characters and I also think he could have made a much bigger effort in this film. Yes there are 5 (?) women at the table when the special meeting is called (someone posted a pic with them numbered, might be more). But they are still a distinct minority. And when Kirk and Spock run up to talk to Marcus about Khan being on Chronos he is having a meeting with about 7 other people he dismisses. All of those people are men. That's just silly. How hard would it be to make half of them women? I look at this and think, didn't JJ notice?

So he has a way to go just visually IMO. But I'm totally cool with this being the Kirk and Spock show, that's what I'm here for.
I agree.

I don't want to waste time on irrelevant characters women or otherwise, but there might be room/time for a strong woman enemy co-worker who isn't anybody's girlfriend.

nuBSG was derived from a similar virtually all male series of BSG. The way they change the dynamic was having some of the leads change gender. They didn't choose to do this with nuTrek so they sort of have to live with male dominance to some extent.