View Single Post
Old June 9 2013, 01:21 AM   #66
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Then, when she beams down to "help" Spock, who's fighting Khan, again, her contribution falls flat to me. She has to rely on her boyfriend to take the bad guy out because he's more than her phaser can handle.
See this I don't get at all. Spock was getting his ass kicked and his head crushed from a relentless pounding machine of a eugenics superman. The phaser fire did not drop Khan but it did require that he righted himself with each hit.

BAM.. Khan stumbles backwards and then lunges towards her..

BAM.. Khan stumbles backwards and then lunges towards her..

Repeat several times. His head was thrown back and he was needing a moment to refocus and steady himself with each hit. This gave Spock what he needed, breathing space and thinking space and he was able to grab a weapon (prior to this he only had his fists) and smash Khan's head, knock him down and gain the upper hand. No doubt being stunned so many times made Khan less able to fight back.

And you know Uhura could have been the one that beamed down and fired the phaser on kill and won the day, but the story needed Khan alive. That was the only thing that stopped her from being the one who did in the bad guy on that platform.

They worked together and they both took Khan out. Nothing flat there. One thing the scene shows us is just how powerful Khan is and I've said before no one person is ever going to take him out in a fight.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne