View Single Post
Old June 8 2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Locutus of Bored
The Locutest One of All

Re: Was I the only one who disliked Far Beyond the Stars?

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
I watch startrek for the science fictions. The whole them of future and space ect

I don't watch startrek to sit and watch a 1950's drama about racism.
Well, you seem to have missed the point of not only much of Star Trek, but of science fiction in general. The best science fiction is supposed to explore not just the limits of space, the mind, or technology, but also explore the human condition in the process. It's supposed to examine real world issues through the lens of a futuristic or alternative setting so we can get a new perspective on it, which is what FBtS and numerous other DS9 and Star Trek episodes did as well.

There are plenty of episodes full of space battles and weird planets and aliens to satisfy those preferences, so it's a shame you were so dismissive of this episode based on its format and subject matter. I would suggest giving it another shot, and after that, checking out the original series if you have access to it so you can see that dealing with social issues has been a part of the franchise from the start.

Star Trek, despite the futuristic setting, is ultimately about the human condition. It's no accident that ST:TMP ended with this message:

'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote