View Single Post
Old June 8 2013, 10:05 PM   #57
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

beamMe wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
And I've said many times that I think the first movie was well-done. I commend them on what they did with that film and I have supported and defended it. This film, however, is a different story for me. I would never say that they are flat-out misogynists, because I don't think that's true. But, they rushed to make the script, and I think when that happened they fell back on some stereotypes for women that one can argue are programmed by traditional roles for women in action movies. Some of those traditions are rooted in sexist or misogynistic views. That is all.
Which stereotypes would that be?
Here's the one that I had an issue with:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2010/04/22/female-stereotypes-persist-in-american-films/13047.html

A new study finds that although female characters are displayed as “tougher” and more “violent,” women continue to take a non-dominant role in most films.

[...]

“This research provides evidence that the majority of female action characters shown in American cinema are not images of empowerment; they do not draw upon their femininity as a source of power, and they are not a kind of ‘post-gender woman’ operating outside the boundaries of traditional gender restrictions.

“Instead, they operate inside highly socially constructed gender norms, rely on the strength and guidance of a dominant male action character, and end up re-articulating gender stereotypes.”
For me, the Uhura I saw in the last film was very strong and capable, and she showed that. When she's entering her dorm room talking to her friend about the day that she had, it's about a transmission that she was able to intercept and translate. When a member of Pike's bridge crew wasn't able to perform, she was. All of that was her, and she didn't rely on anyone else for that. Yes, she was in a relationship, but that wasn't the main thing with the character in the 2009 film to me. The relationship was just a part of her life, and she was a successful woman who could stand up for herself when needed.

In STID, her abilities get overshadowed by the men in the film. She speaks Klingon, but nothing comes of it, and then there's a fight where she and her cohorts are saved by the "bad guy." That quickly moves on to a whole thing with him and Kirk, and to me, her "contribution" is easily forgotten.

Then, when she beams down to "help" Spock, who's fighting Khan, again, her contribution falls flat to me. She has to rely on her boyfriend to take the bad guy out because he's more than her phaser can handle.

I've seen where some people here have no issues with any of this and they think it all worked just fine. For me, it didn't.

------

Getting to the topic of the thread, though, did we decide if STID passed or failed the Beschdel Test or no? I don't remember 2 women having much of any kind of conversation in the film, but I only saw it once.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf