View Single Post
Old June 8 2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: SF Debris quick STID review [spoilers]

BillJ wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert was wonderful. Even when I didn't agree I liked his reviews. I know he didn't like the ST09 movie,

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote:
He didn't hate it, but he didn't love it.
Way to back-peddle!
That's not back-peddling. It's acknowledging that even though he wasn't in love with the film, as a reviewer, he was able to appreciate it for what it was. I don't think it makes the cut for any of his "best of" lists, that's for sure. When I was over at Trekmovie, it seemed like the producer/writer wasn't happy with him because he didn't throw full support behind it, but that's neither here not there for this thread.

I didn't like STID, but I still came away from it saying that there were some good things in it, and I give it a pass purely as an action film. I think it fails as anything else. That's another thing I agree with that the reviewer in the OP said. Frankly, that's what a lot of reviewers have said.

I don't know how long his full-length reviews are, but I think he summed things up nicely in 13 minutes and some change. I didn't agree with everything he had to say though, like I didn't think the "homage" scene at the end worked at all. It's the only part of the film where I was like "Are you kidding me?" I had to stop myself from saying it out loud because I started to.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote