View Single Post
Old June 8 2013, 03:53 AM   #94
mswood
Rear Admiral

Re: TrekCore: "Important News about DS9 in HD Coming May 10"

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
In this topic, fans want CBS to spend as much money as possible putting in giant CGI space battles.

In reality, CBS will look to spend as little money as possible.
I wouldn't be a Star Trek fan if I thought otherwise.

However, if the original VFX can't stand up to an HD transfer, they'll need to be recreated, no matter what it's going to cost CBS, if they want to sell DS9 blurays.
Not really

First assumption if they do them at all is that we get the TNG process.

But DS9 is vastly harder to do then TNG on fx work pre CGI. The amount of model based fx is huge compared to TNG. Not only did they do more complex shots but shots we far, far more models, that means far more individual elements.

That alone will increase the cost to CBS. Thats without even getting to CGI issues.

As for the CGI, in seasons 6 - 7. By the time seasons 6 - 7 comes up CBS might very seriously just upscale those fx, and figure that we got you to purchase the first five seasons, the next two your going to buy even if the FX are just upscaled because you are still going to get a the vast bulk of material (the live action) in HD.

Frankly unless they can find the stored files for all episodes, I truly can't see them trying to accurately recreate several large scale episodes of DS9.

If they find that all those files are saved, would they pony up to the corrent holders of them, so they could use them? Or are the holders of them going to try to get the work farmed out to them? Would CBS be willing to do so? I honestly don't know.

Now I would hope that if the materials can be found that CBS would make it happen even if that meant farming those shots back out to those who hold them (or the companies if either still exist).

But it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see CBS just upscale the CGI side of things.