View Single Post
Old June 7 2013, 08:26 PM   #48
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: The abundance of ideas for a new trek show.

surak-toc wrote: View Post
I think if we don't get a new series tv wise would a new novel series suffice, I mean new frontier is great, why not do something with the idea I and bbjeg were discussing, would be a great series of books.
I think we can safely say they won't be touching any of the books, especially when they eventually do a total reboot and start everything over from scratch.

mos6507 wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I don't think we'll see any Trek continuity last 20 years anymore. 10 to 12 years, tops with a couple of years between reboots, IMO.
Thankfully I won't be around to live too long in an era where franchises regularly reboot at that frequencies. I don't see how anyone can really invest themselves in fandom if they think the continuity is going to come and go so quickly, keep getting recast and "reimagined" to closely match the prime-moviegoing-demographic's taste, but hey, that's where culture is headed now.
Things are continually reinvented for new audiences. Trek was able to hang onto its original continuity for a very long time, but nothing lasts forever.

I think beginning with Star Trek XI, Trek has entered the realm of other franchises like Batman where it can be periodically reinvented, with each version having a different take on the mythos.

There's probably some young actor out there right now that will be the next Captain Kirk in about ten years, IMO.