View Single Post
Old June 7 2013, 06:54 PM   #27
AtoZ
Commander

Re: Atheism, and "Bread and Circuses"

Zameaze wrote: View Post
Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain. --Gene Roddenberry

Does anyone know how Gene Roddenberry, an atheist, came to write the teleplay for "Bread and Circuses," where the bridge crew stood around fawning over the fact that the planet's residents weren't worshiping the sun, but rather the Son of God. It always seemed rather strange to me.
There's more than a few ways to view matters. Roddenberry may have claimed to be an "atheist", among other things, but one view is he was in a sense very religious, with his god being himself, his ego and the extreme's he'd go to feed it. Another was his pursuit of humanism. In a sense, he was a high priest and Star Trek was his vehicle.

Or some of you could label me for my submission, given my proposal.

"Bible thumpers" was among a few of the responses on this thread. Interesting label that says much. Does tolerance only apply to some and not to others?

Or was Roddenberry strictly stroking a specific sector of the viewers?

Regardless, Gene was certainly smart enough to know what he was doing (when not blinded by certain vices....like any of us)...and me thinks he was particularly adept at reaching people and pushing buttons.