View Single Post
Old June 7 2013, 04:09 PM   #23
Yeoman Basha
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: What the deal with the Spock being betroved

For me, it has nothing to do with what may or may not technically be forbidden about Spock and T'Pring's betrothal. It is all about CHARACTER -- more specifically, character consistency. The Spock I saw in TOS would never in a million years have kicked T'Pring to the curb or just blatantly disregarded what was obviously a very serious Vulcan commitment.

Remember, when T'Pring wanted out of the relationship she told Spock: "By the laws of our people, I could only divorce you by the kalifee" -- a contest where two men are obligated to fight to the death! So if the woman wants out of the relationship, she has to basically kill a man. So I don't believe for one moment this betrothal was supposed to be some sort of "back-up plan" that either party can easily disregard if they feel like it. It's a very serious commitment and IMO it is grossly out of character for Spock to completely disregard it. I know this is a different timeline but BEFORE the destruction of Vulcan I see nothing that would have altered Spock's character so dramatically.
Yeoman Basha is offline   Reply With Quote