View Single Post
Old June 7 2013, 02:08 PM   #289
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: Klingons in STID--why do they look like [SPOILERS]?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim wrote: View Post
I feel like this is arguing semantics rather than addressing the point at issue, but if we must, we must. Race is an imprecise term, the definition of which depends on context. There are indeed distinct Japanese and Korean ethnic groups. After pointing out this distinction, I broadened the scope of my comments to that of "place of origin," because it furnished an additional example to further illustrate that we needn't view an actor's background as determinative of a character's, and thus that we needn't press ourselves to "explain" a discrepancy between them. You're right that ethnicity and nationality are not necessarily one and the same, but that really doesn't affect the substance of what I'm saying at all. Let's not be obtuse.
Thanks a bunch. Right backatcha.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm pointing out how ridiculous it is for people to demand that a character be a certain nationality, skin color, ethnicity, race, whatever. The attitude is rampant in forums like these, especially where this film is considered.

The fact that it even has to be discussed shows how far off GR's colorblind future is.

But hey, nice talking to ya.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote