View Single Post
Old June 6 2013, 03:37 PM   #36
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Generations Concept Uniforms?

Dukhat wrote: View Post

Using the crappy new uniforms wouldn't have made that movie any more crappy than it already was.
I didn't say that it would (not that I agree with your assessment of the film). I said that it would look crappy. Whatever you may think about the movie's story, it was visually impressive.

That's easy enough to rectify. The subspace relay station was manned by a temporary two-man crew, probably for three months or so, before transferring to starship duty. So not being permanently attached to the station (like Worf wasn't until he accepted a permanent transfer to DS9), there was no need to switch duty uniforms.
You're jumping through hoops to explain away something that doesn't need explaining. They were assigned to a space station and wore TNG style uniforms.

So what was the purpose in having them at all in DS9 then? Why didn't they just use the standard TNG uniform then if it wasn't a nod to having a station duty uniform instead of a starship duty uniform?
The purpose was to show that they are using a different uniform variant on deep space nine than they did on the Enterprise D at the time? Why does it have to be any more involved than that? And they aren't starship duty uniforms as you've designated them; they're used by all kinds of officers on planets, stations, and ships.

Because as I said before, we never saw any other space station personnel other than DS9 while those uniforms were being used, with the exception of Relay Station 47, which I've given a hypothesis for. I don't find it silly at all, since it seems to me that the whole point of switching the uniforms was to delineate space station duty, as I said above.
You've imagined a whole scenario in your head where the deep space nine style uniform was exclusively associated with space stations despite not only evidence to the contrary at the time, but also knowledge we now have that they get used on several starships later on. Based on what?

Last edited by Andymator; June 6 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Andymator is online now   Reply With Quote