View Single Post
Old June 6 2013, 03:10 PM   #172
Brit
Captain

Re: Why Janeway is the Worst Star Trek Captain!

MacLeod wrote: View Post
ralfy wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Inconsistancy is bad characterisation, most people behave in a consistant way (most of the time). They don't tend to fluctuate back and forth on a weekly basis.
Not really. You can even see it in reality.
But most people tend to hold the same principals, they wouldn't tend to fluctuate that much. I.e if you believe the law should be upheld, next week you can't say lets ingore the law, then the following day/week etc.. to be the law must be up held, then back to when I do it it's not against the law.
I think people reinvent themselves all the time and without consistency, and they do so to adapt to the constantly changing situations of "real life." That has more to do with the ability to survive than anything else. Her "inconsistencies" are what make Janeway so compelling, they make her "real."

And I'm not the only one that thinks this way: Here is a quote from professional writer Jacequeline Lichtenberg (she wrote Star Trek Lives.

Mulgrew took the confused, conflicting, mutually exclusive Janeways she was handed and created a unified, whole, complete HUMAN BEING from the mishmosh.

She created a CHARACTER with depth, facets, inconsistencies that flesh out and illuminate the inner subconscious depths of character the way the very best classics show us character.
http://aliendjinnromances.blogspot.c...n-janeway.html

What you are considering a liability to the character is actually an asset. Voyager's ability to survive a 70 year trip home hangs on their commander's ability to change.

And there you have it, from an respected professional writer with years of experience. It's the inconsistencies that make "classic" characters, given the artistic level of the person creating that character - in this case Kate Mulgrew, who is a fabulous actress.

Brit is offline   Reply With Quote