View Single Post
Old June 6 2013, 11:36 AM   #297
seven14
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Malaika wrote: View Post
CommishSleer wrote: View Post
I still want the trio to be Kirk/Spock/McCoy. I want the bromance.
That's my only objection to the Uhura/Spock thing. I think they can still do both though.

The girl in the couple in 'Balance of Terror' had to move sections so that she was not under her husband's supervision.
I think romances between shipmates is inevitable as are workplace romances where I met my husband.
they could have an amazing OT4 dynamic and in part they do in the end when they all combine their efforts and save Kirk, no?
I wanted to kiss Bones when he told Kirk that him and Uhura deserved some credit for saving him because Kirk was all about thanking Spock for saving his life
That was a one of the few happy moments that I had ,after viewing STID the 1st time, was Bones line. After the earlier scene of Uhura being just as frightened for Bones as Kirk and by her comforting Kirk after Bones was safe, I knew they were all friends not just Spock/Kirk or Kirk/Bones and Spock/Uhura but all 4 are best friends who don't hesitate to meet up outside of work for fun.

Bones who is always so grumpy sounding is nothing but a softee and I think a S/U shipper lol actually took the time to include Uhura when he could have said "well I had something to do with it too' and no one would have batted an eye because he is the Dr and he worked fast to get Kirk placed on ice after he put 2 and 2 together about Khan's blood. For him to acknowledge Uhura's courage in beaming down onto a moving platform to neutralize Khan and bring him back with Spock was very powerful to me.

Upon my second viewing this feeling of OT4 was only reinforced and now that I will buy the DVD it is something that I will love seeing again and again.

When she asks Kirk to go outside alone and try to talk with the klingons the camera focuses on Spock's face and you can tell that he doesn't like the plan and the idea of her getting in danger BUT he doesn't stop her because he has faith she can do it and he trusts her and her abilities.
This ladies and gentlemen is a relationship where both parts are equal. She's a woman and she's his girlfriend but she also is an officer and he believes in her.
With all the complains about Uhura worrying about her boyfriend she actually did the same thing at the beginning when he went in that volcano. She was supportive the whole time, confident he could make it. She was worried but she tried to hide it well, it was only visible on her face when he was gone. But she never stopped him or tried to stop him.
The reason she was angry later wasn't because he was willing to risk his life for a mission, she was angry because from her pov it seemed like he had a death wish and he didn't care if he lived or died.

btw, this is one of my favorite scenes between them in the movie
http://youtu.be/_u-3ty4fS2Y

the whole teasing "you sure you don't want me to go instead?" after she had just finished putting the last piece of that suit on him and of course he doesn't understand she's joking "that would be highly illogical as I'm already outfitted" note: not illogical because the job is dangerous and you're my gal and I don't want you to get in danger. It's illogical because I'm already wearing this stupid thing.
I really don't understand the complaints about Uhura being girly and unprofessional (my words) that I have read. I think she was professional through-out. Uhura by herself - without Spock is a very strong, confident, contained person as well as a very professional soldier. She has always been a strong person and would have always succeeded and excelled. With her scenes in STID I never got the sense that she was trying to hold him back and manipulate him with her feeling to get him to behave the way she wanted him to behave - I always got where she was coming from - it's sad for me to admit but I think because I couldn't see hand-holding I ignored all the other instances of real growth but I've come around and I wish others would give really give the relationship and chance so they can see all the nuances and realness that we see here in this thread and on the S/U loving tumblrs and such.
seven14 is offline   Reply With Quote