View Single Post
Old June 6 2013, 02:53 AM   #28
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: Dumping Cable & Getting a Roku - Advice Needed

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I pay a fair amount for MLB.TV, but at least it's only annual. And even then it's less than what I used to pay for cable every month - plus, barring the occasional blackout rules (I live in Royals territory so every time the Yankees play them, I either listen to the radio feed or wait for 2 hours after the game), I'm guaranteed to get EVERY GAME, whereas with cable I'd be lucky if MLB Network, ESPN or (gack) Fox just happens to show a Yankee or Met game.

(MLB.TV is a massively useful service, by the way. I don't think there's a football equivalent, but there are for hockey and basketball - at least during the regular season.)
I had a 4-month blackout of my Pistons. Not particularly depressing considering how much they won this past season, but the fact remains that if Jose Calderon doesn't re-sign with the Pistons, I never saw him with the Detroit Pistons. Blackouts are permanent, not a delay. So I couldn't watch any Pistons games. Not that useful. It was fun to see the Memphis Grizzlies, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs, Indiana Pacers, and Milwaukee Bucks throughout that time frame, however. I think that the NBA rules are not that conducive to those living in a market with a major franchise. They seemed determined to keep fans paying through cable. Maybe that has something to do with Time Warner running NBA.com.