View Single Post
Old June 5 2013, 11:07 PM   #50
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: I've started hating the word "rehash"...

A Borg movie should be a full-on alien invasion movie. They're in right now. And so are zombie movies.

It's too bad Abrams isn't likely to direct the next one. I know he tends to be derivative of his hero Spielberg, but Abrams's more robust style lends itself well to this type of film. I think he would have made a better War of the Worlds.

For it to work, they'd pretty much have to turn the Borg up to eleven. Make the cubes truly massive, for example.

I can't help but picture the trailer:

A ground shot looking up (or perhaps across New York harbor) and seeing the silhouettes of these massive cubes poking through the distant sky.

With a bombastic modular panning effect (like a louder version of Spock's meld from ST09), as if it were bouncing off the Earth, we hear:

"We are the Borg. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us.

Resistance is futile."

It's haunting and chilling and makes the Borg awesome again.

It's certainly a bit cheap, and probably a little trite, but it's guaranteed to put butts in seats.

People can scoff and say it's the wrong reason to do something, but it is why Hollywood exists in the first place. That's one thing the "something original" crowd doesn't quite get. Those types of films aren't guaranteed to be successful. the modern market is so much different than the one 25 years ago. A TVH isn't likely to be as big of a success as it was.

Frankly, neither film has been the "tent pole" Paramount was hoping for. Certainly they've been hugely successful, but, going by the other threads, I'm sure most would agree that's due mostly to the "older" audience. The kids all went to FF6.

Suffice it to say, STO9 put the canvas down, and STiD pounded the stakes, but we still need the uber-mega blockbuster to pitch it up.

Zombie space invaders who sling a pop culture catch phrase can be that.

When that's done, people can start thinking about more "intimate" films, side projects, or a series.