View Single Post
Old June 5 2013, 08:02 PM   #89
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

Re: Strange Dark Matter Theory

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
That's kinda what I mean. The satellites aren't programmed to account for relativistic distortions; they re-synch manually via ground stations. The claim that the satellites have a corrective subroutine that accounts for relativistic effects is more legend than fact. Besides which, the accrued error due to time dilation alone would be relatively small even if it wasn't corrected.
I assume that most people reading when I mentioned GPS satellites would have understood about the clock problem. That's pretty much what most of everyone thinks of.

And I've been following enough of those debates to know that several of them are debates between theorists over the nature of the derivative theories and their broader implications in cosmology. Always in such cases I get the sense that theorists are getting way ahead of themselves...
We aren't "getting ahead of ourselves" when we've had pretty conclusive proof from observation and experiment that the basics of general relativity work. Some people get excited over more exotic theories, but until something to support them comes up we generally treat them as being theory only.

From conversations with a friend of mine working in Fermilab, although I should clarify that this is less a problem with the theorists and more a problem with institutions that fund them (universities and government agencies, for example).
Having been involved in reviewing several grant applications for the UK's STFC, I can officially say that "questioning relativity" will not get you in trouble career-wise. Among other things that have been approved are proposals to study Lorentz violation, which at least to me pretty much counts as "questioning relativity".

MY personal bias (call it a pet theory) is that Einstein's interpretation of the implications of Lorentz contractions introduced some potentially unwarranted conclusions and there is actually no need to extend the theory beyond Minkowski spacetime. I think that General Relativity would work a lot better if way could be found to systematically apply Lortentz transformations to a curved spacetime -- say, Minkowsky spacetime with a noticeable curve -- which which point the distinction between special and general relativity disappears.
Well, good luck with that but you've got a fair amount of observational evidence separating special and general relativity to overturn from cosmology, as well as finding a way of making transformations valid only in weak gravity work in a strong gravitational environment with non-vanishing curvature.

It would be an interesting paper to read, to say the least...

Last edited by FlyingLemons; June 5 2013 at 08:22 PM.
FlyingLemons is offline   Reply With Quote