View Single Post
Old June 5 2013, 12:51 PM   #4060
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Belz... wrote: View Post
And even then, can the nuclear bombings of Japan be considered terrorism?
Not to start a whole tangent on that can of worms, but yes, I think they were the very definition of terrorism (going by the definition: "the use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of inspiring terror and intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons"), regardless of whether one thinks their use was justified or not in that context and era. Of course, many of the same actions that would be considered terrorism if perpetrated by a rogue group would be considered legal by the UN if perpetrated by the armed forces of a recognized state during an armed conflict, so yeah, like you said, it's a gray area.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
It's been a while since I read the novels, but this is what it says on Memory Beta:
No, I meant in the official Trek stuff. TOS, TWOK, STID.
Yeah, I caught that after the fact and addressed it in my edit. It was a conflation of two different arguments about the events in the Eugenics Wars books vs. the events in the show/films.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote