View Single Post
Old June 5 2013, 01:59 AM   #4053
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

throwback wrote: View Post
There are many historical examples of coup d'etats where terrorism wasn't used.
Yes, I know. I didn't say he used terrorism for sure, I said it wasn't specifically ruled out and could have possibly been used. Plus, there's no coup that gained control of a quarter of the surface of the Earth in a couple years, so it's not really comparable to any real historical situations.

Khan wasn't depicted as a lovable dictator.
That was just a joke about how some of the Enterprise crew sort of admired Khan and viewed his rule through rose tinted glasses of history.

Space Seed is quite clear on Khan not being a murderous dictator when Scotty said:

There were no massacres under his rule.
That makes it clear that he didn't massacre his own people once he consolidated power. It doesn't say anything about what he did to his enemies and populations that wouldn't submit to his rule.

Belz... wrote: View Post
First off, Khan wasn't a terrorist. His target was a military installation both times.
It's been a while since I read the novels, but this is what it says on Memory Beta:

On August 29, 1994 Hunyadi addressed the United Nations in defiance against the economic sanctions and the NATO peacekeeping presence to declare that Serbia had nothing to apologize for. During his speech, members of the Army of Eternal Vigilance (AEV) released sarin gas, a nerve toxin, into the council chambers, suffocating to death many ambassadors and tourists and also Vasily Hunyadi. The AEV was an anti-government militia based in Cochise County, Arizona. It was commanded by an Augment named Hawkeye Morrison. Morrison had teamed up with Khan to eliminate Hunyadi.

On March 17 of 1995, Khan acquired over 200 bio-warheads from the former Soviet Union. Eventually, after learning the secrets of the Chrysalis Project, Khan redeveloped the flesh eating streptococcus that his mother developed and prepared to devastate the planet with its presence.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Eugenics_Wars
So, like I said, an ally of his used nerve gas on the UN to kill an enemy (I don't recall if Khan was aware that he would do this or not) and Khan tried to use biological weapons against the people of Earth. Neither of which are military targets.

[edit] It occurred to me that you weren't talking about the EW novels or the 9-11/War on Terror allegory and are talking about the crash in San Francisco in the film instead. In which case, targeting Starfleet HQ in the middle of San Francisco with a ship a quarter of the size of the peninsula (exaggeration, don't look it up) is hardly an indiscriminate act. Thousands of innocent civilians both on the Starfleet HQ campus (if it's anything like real military installations where it's a mix of military and civilians) and in the surrounding city would be killed.

Besides that, when the computer told him that he couldn't reach Starfleet HQ, he had no problem taking out a huge chunk of San Francisco instead.

Why do you have to stick with a brown-skinned villain when Khan has already been played by a white man of European descent and was shown with his natural white skin (sans skin darkening makeup) in TWoK? Why do you have to stick with a brown-skinned terrorist when no actual historical terrorist incident is being depicted?
Woah, I didn't say any of that.
Nor did I accuse you of saying any of that. It was a general you.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; June 5 2013 at 02:13 AM.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote