View Single Post
Old June 4 2013, 08:42 PM   #167
Starbrow
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Starbrow wrote: View Post
I think G.R.R. just wanted to shock his viwers/readers. There was so much more he could have done with this characters but just like with Ned, he threw the white flag.
I think you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Life doesn't get pretty red bows at the end of a character arc with the plots wrapped up nice and tidy. Choices are made and those choices have consequences. In this world, the consequences are often death.
From GEORGE R.R. MARTIN interview:

Ive said in many interviews that I like my fiction to be unpredictable. I like there to be considerable suspense. I killed Ned in the first book and it shocked a lot of people. I killed Ned because everybody thinks hes the hero and that, sure, hes going to get into trouble, but then hell somehow get out of it. The next predictable thing is to think his eldest son is going to rise up and avenge his father. And everybody is going to expect that. So immediately [killing Robb] became the next thing I had to do.

So as you can see it has nothing to do with life, G.R.R: just likes to be unpredictable and shock his audience.
Starbrow is offline   Reply With Quote