View Single Post
Old June 4 2013, 02:40 AM   #1692
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
I think it is because of the 'Into Darkness' and a story featuring terrorism, revenge, murder, suicide bombings, grim deaths etc instead of a more 'fun' adventure.
Although I loved STID, it seems too mature for my older grandchildren (7 and 5). Hopefully, the next movie will be more family-friendly.

I am concerned that marketing was too dark for many families in US. YMMV.
I know where you're coming from. Four years ago, my daughters were freaked out by the bar fight in ST09. Not the stuff they're used to seeing. They were gun-shy about this movie (I mean, hey, into darkness). Keeping my fingers crossed, I promised them that kind of thing wasn't in STID. They both liked it a lot. My youngest wants to see it again when school's out.

The marketing of this movie seemed way off for the kind of story it was. Which is too bad, because it was a darned good movie.

The title of a story, movie, novel, or whatever is the hardest thing to come up with sometimes. I think this movie also may have suffered a bit (at least at first) from the title they settled on. But that said, I certainly can't think of anything else short of "Star Trek II".