View Single Post
Old June 3 2013, 10:22 PM   #28
Timo
Admiral

Re: Morality and the Holodeck - slightly different question

Also I get the feeling as XO, Riker can open any locked door on the Enterprise, or ask his buddy security chief Worf to do it for him.
We've certainly seen LaForge do it before, and he was there every time in "Hollow Pursuits".

As for "Booby Trap", LaForge called forth an expert program with a visual avatar, which sounded like a routine thing to do. He then asked the computer to extrapolate a personality for the avatar, just for convenience, which sounded like a thing many people would do but many would not bother with and many would not have the proper resources (i.e. starship computers) for. The Computer claimed that the extrapolation was mostly accurate, and LaForge didn't call for any "smitten at me" or "really likes anal sex" extras, so we're supposed to think we saw the real Leah Brahms...

...That is, we saw a true representation of the public face of Leah Brahms. By definition, that's public property, and it's how Leah wants people to think of her. Well, Geordi thinks of her that way, here and in "Galaxy's Child" still. There's no indication that LaForge would be treading on private ground in any fashion, then - his fault is in trusting Brahms' public image.

But if you're on your computer playing video games and lose track of time, that doesn't give your employer the right to break down the door and access your personal computer to find out what you've been doing.
Except in Starfleet, it probably does. It's the military, after all, and we explicitly know they still do things the old-fashioned way where civilians have moved on to more "evolved" approaches. For failing to show up to work in time, you might well lose all privacy and liberty and, say, be sent to forced labor without food or hygiene for the next 8 hours. Tuvok did some of that stuff in "Learning Curve", remember?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote