View Single Post
Old June 3 2013, 03:38 PM   #436
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
While we're back on this subject (ship scale), there's a scene in STiD after the Enterprise loses power and emergency lighting kicks in. We clearly see the edge of the saucer is two levels high, because one of them (round hallway) is exposed via hull rupture. So, arguments about 4 levels on the saucer rim are out.
That's cute that you think so, but no. There are at least four, and I believe five full decks in the saucer rim alone, and the scene you're describing (see below) does nothing to dissuade me from that idea.

(click to enlarge)

Also, the total number of levels in the saucer can been guesstimated from the "plaza." There are about 8-10 levels, so figure 3-4 above the saucer, and 3-4 below (but that includes the "level" immediately beneath the dome and above the bottom dome, which is basically nothing).
The images below aren't clear (they're screencaps I found online), but it shows way more than 3-4 decks above and below the level Kirk and Scotty were on. The female crewman Kirk was trying to hold onto fell pretty far.

(click to enlarge)

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
^During the run from the brig to the warp core, I counted 11 decks above Scotty and Kirk, and 9 below.

Perhaps someone else can corroborate?
I don't know the exact count, but it was much closer to your estimate than to WFZ's. People were falling way down the atrium. Even with the blurry images you can count several more decks than 3-4 above and below the level Kirk and Scotty are on.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote