View Single Post
Old June 3 2013, 07:26 AM   #26
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: Game of Thrones 3.9 - "The Rains of Castamere" - Rate and discuss

Vyse wrote: View Post
I just wish the show had done a better job of explaining just how vile this treachery was, by betraying Guest Rights.
Repeatedly stabbing a pregnant women in the stomach to begin the massacre didn't convey the vileness of the act adequately enough?

I think the wrongness of killing people you welcomed into your home as guests was portrayed well enough without quoting minutiae from ancient tradition and law, and there's still another episode and the next season to discuss it anyway if they feel the need.

As far as the episode goes, I knew what was coming, but it was still a punch in the gut, if you'll pardon the expression. I haven't felt this way from a show/movie since walking out silent and defeated from the ending of Seven. Once the doors were closed and the musicians started playing The Rains of Castamere, I got chills from the ominous buildup to the inevitable. But still, stabbing Talisa like that was just devastating, as was Cat's plea for Robb to leave.

Sad as it was, I immediately watched the episode again. It was excellent but horrifying, but it's the mark of a great show that it can walk that line effectively.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote