View Single Post
Old June 3 2013, 05:15 AM   #51
iarann
Lieutenant

Re: ALT: Star Trek Into Darkness by A. D. Foster Review Thread (Spoile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Or maybe it's a nation rather than a race. One thing I hate about Trek and most other SF is the way they treat the two as interchangeable, as if every political entity were defined on purely racial grounds. There are Americans whose ancestors come from every country in the world; why can't there be people who are K'normian by nationality but human by birth, or Vulcan by nationality yet Denobulan by birth, or what-have-you? (It would certainly explain why there are two completely different-looking species called Ktarians, and several different ones called Rigelians.)
You have a good point there. I have seen this handled in other SF, but Star Trek pretty much avoids that outside of the Federation in the show. Oddly enough, due to the way MMO games are designed, the Star Trek Online game actually does this, for example making the Gorn a race but a member of the Klingon Empire.

Christopher wrote: View Post
In any case, we have seen instances where characters impersonated members of another species by using audio communication only. Perhaps Kirk's plan was that they'd use the K'normian scout ship and identify themselves as K'normians over the radio if challenged, but wouldn't send a visual transmission.
Having seen the movie twice now, I'm pretty sure this was his intent, especially since his backup plan when he was forced to land was to go out Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid style.