View Single Post
Old June 3 2013, 02:50 AM   #203
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years

^The thing that's odd to me about the head of licensing saying he considered your book canonical, David, is that I haven't been instructed to keep my Rise of the Federation novels consistent with it. Instead I'm continuing the version of post-ENT continuity that was established in the preceding four novels in the series and that interprets a number of things differently than you did. As a rule, we're not allowed to contradict canon, and if something in the book continuity is overwritten by later canon, then later books are expected to conform to the new information. (E.g. The Lost Era: The Sundered posited a scorpionlike appearance for the Tholians, but books that came out after "In a Mirror, Darkly" used the Tholian appearance seen there.) So if the licensing folks thought your book was canonical, they would presumably have asked me to be consistent with it, but they haven't.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that. There's a long history of Trek tie-ins offering alternative versions of the same event, like the Pocket and DC versions of Kirk's first mission on the Enterprise that came out within a year of each other -- and the five other incompatible versions of same that have come out from Pocket, DC, and IDW in the years since.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote