View Single Post
Old June 3 2013, 12:19 AM   #19
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Phase II - Act One of "KITUMBA"

middyseafort wrote: View Post
M wrote: View Post
Hm, I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled because of the high quality of the first Continues episode and even the earlier Phase II efforts, but this first act didn't quite work for me, personally. The dialog-heavy scenes in the transporter room and during the dining seem much too long and ridden with clumsy exposition. Also, Ksia's costume looks really ill-fitting and especially his dialog seemed too quiet and not really well edited.

Here's hoping some of this will be fixed in a tighter edit.
Totally agree with the sentiment that the scenes are too talky. Saw the unofficial release of this episode and the dialogue is clunky throughout, and the scenes are filled with much more "telling" and less emphasis on actually "showing." Every scene with Ksia feels like an infodump of backstory and they are painful to watch.

However, not only are the scenes are overly talky, but they are overwritten and the dialogue isn't interesting or how people actually talk.
The main challenge we had to face was being faithful to the original source material while simultaneously trying to make the necessary changes.

The late John Meredyth Lucas (who wrote four episodes of TOS) wrote a very interesting episode about the Klingons for the aborted Phase II television series back in 1977. So all his interesting stuff about Klingons predates anything that we learned about them from the not-yet-envisioned motion pictures or The Next Generation.

We could have made the changes we thought were necessary to his never-actually-quite-finished script, and we actually did make some changes, but if we deviated too much, then it would no longer be John Meredyth Lucas' "Kitumba" (and folks in the know were really interested in seeing his vision realized.) But we also wanted to honor and do justice to 25+ years of Klingon lore that the franchise has built up since that time. We already get e-mail from people saying "How dare you change a single word of Lucas' great original 'Kitumba' script!" Conversely, we get angry letters from people that say "Gowron said in 'Rightful Heir' that there have been no emperors for 300 years; how can you possibly ignore that comment?" As a result, despite or more likely because of our attempted balancing act, the script which, like all of John Meredyth Lucas' scripts, was kind of expository-heavy to begin, probably has too much yadda yadda yadda dialogue, trying to reconcile Lucas' Klingons with 25+ years of Klingons.

Nevertheless, I'm proud of our (still as yet unfinished) episode, even if it doesn't actually become our new high-water mark.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote