View Single Post
Old June 2 2013, 10:55 PM   #215
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

Well, most of it has already been said, but I, too, am blown away by the quality of this. While certainly not up to television broadcast standards, most of this seemed to work. The acting, the music, the story, the effects – there's great work from all departments. I especially enjoyed Michael Forest, who – no surprise there – outshines pretty much everyone else with his acting chops. He has a grace and stature that even a silly costume and hair piece can't diminish.

But all the others were great, too. Vis Mignogna is terrific as Kirk! I didn't think I was going to like him from the first snippets of his Kirk, but I loved him here. Larry Nemecek as McCoy is nice, too, even though he's not exactly channeling Kelley's performance. (But then again, why would he need to be?) Chris Doohan is great as Scotty and I like the guy playing Spock; although he seems too young to me.

My favorite scene in this, by the way, was the singing in the rec room. It might have seemed cheesy to some, but it really felt like something TOS would have done; especially in season three or four. Michael Forest's delivery in this was amazing. I loved this! (Also, Jamie Bamber as a redshirt: Brilliant!)

I wish I could say the same about the first scene and the last, both of which seemed kind of gratuitous. The first one because it served no purpose whatsoever for the story to follow, and the last one because it felt like something TOS would never have done.

But those are just minor quibbles. I love this and I'm really looking forward to what they come up with next.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote