View Single Post
Old June 2 2013, 09:39 PM   #13
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Anti-Borg technology and tactics

Silanda wrote: View Post
Sandoval wrote: View Post
People posting pictures of tommy-guns and hailing these as the answer to combat the Borg always make me laugh. How stupid can you be?

The tommy-gun worked because the Borg Collective had never been shot at with a tommy-gun, not because some weapon from the 1920s is the holy-grail to defeating Borg drones.

You can't mow down hundreds of drones with them time after time because they adapt, just like how phasers work for a while.

Surely anyone with working brain can understand that?
The thing that's always bugged me about that line of thought is that it's somewhat hard to believe that not once, in all the worlds they have assimilated, have they encountered simple slug throwers. A bullet is a bullet is a bullet, they shouldn't have to adapt to every specific type of gun. They're also vulnerable to direct physical assault.

Is there an example in all of Trek where the Borg have adapted to attack by a weapon that is not energy based?
The tommy gun in the holodeck was probably a hologram of the photons and forcefields variety, rather than having been actual replicated matter. Picard says "I disengaged the safety protocols. Without them even a holographic bullet can kill."

FWIW, someone's probably tried to fight the Borg with slug throwers, but nobody ever tried weaponized forcefields until Picard swiss-cheesed Ensign Lynch with a toy gun.