View Single Post
Old June 2 2013, 02:30 PM   #26
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Re: Do Spock & Saavik have any children?

Later on I read that early drafts of the script had that character as Saavik but they changed it to Valeris because Roddenberry objected to making Saavik a traitor.
No way was Nick Meyer going to listen to Roddenberry's suggestion, and he's reiterated that before. He only changed the character because Kim Cattrall didn't want to be the third actress in the role, and she'd been his personal first choice for Saavik in ST II.
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of that. Did you read that from an interview with Meyer or something? (Probably denying the widely held rumor / belief that Roddenberry was responsible for the change.)

It at least explains why this one objection of Roddenberry's would have been listened to - he gave pages of notes on each movie that were ignored, didn't he?

I don't know where that rumor came from but I know I've read / heard it several places. Knowing Roddenberry, he might've taken credit for the change at some point and been the source of it.

Imagine how shocking it would have been if they had went for it and made Saavik the villain!
Totally agree. I'd have hated it, but would have loved the bravery/surprise of the choice.
That's exactly how I would have described it too.

Last edited by DorkBoy [TM]; June 2 2013 at 02:41 PM.
DorkBoy [TM] is offline   Reply With Quote