View Single Post
Old June 2 2013, 04:35 AM   #95
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: Into Darkness and the novelverse [SPOILERS]

Christopher wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Transwarp transporter:

Given the lines in BoBW about matching velocities (as well as what longmagpie has said about Scotty's last depicted moments in Indistinguishable From Magic, in terms of TrekLit), it's pretty clear that the equation for transwarp beaming was developed after 2367, and probably after 2379 (since we never see anything from Starfleet like transwarp beaming in canon Trek before ST09)
But Starfleet did understand the principle of the subspace transporter in "Bloodlines"; Geordi was able to use the technique to beam Picard to DaiMon Bok's ship. They simply chose not to use it because it was dangerous and impractical. It's the sort of thing you'd use only for emergencies or if you were desperate/determined enough to take the risk -- which is how we've seen "transwarp" beaming used so far in the movies.

So I still say Starfleet was probably aware of the principle well before 2370.
My memory of "Bloodlines" is a little rusty, but from what I can recall and gather from MA, the subspace transporter would solve the distance problem posed by STID but not the relative motion problem posed by ST09 (and described in BoBW). So that leads me to think that the "transwarp equation" might have incorporated aspects of the subspace transporter, but be fundamentally based on a post-2379 discovery.

I agree that transwarp beaming does seem to be dangerous and somewhat impractical from how it's been used thus far, but I'm not sure it is so to the degree that you're implying. In STID, no one seems to react to Harrison's use of the transwarp transporter as if it were incredibly dangerous to do so. No one says anything like, "Wow, he must be nuts." So I'm not sure it was the writers' intention for the technology's use in these circumstances to be quite so extraordinary.

It's interesting, though, that you mention being "aware of the principle." The way Spock Prime's interaction with nuScotty in ST09 goes, we know that nuScotty came up with the idea of transwarp beaming sometime prior to 2258, possibly when he was still a cadet. From the way Spock Prime approached the question, we can infer that Scotty Prime also theorized transwarp beaming, probably at a similar time to his alternative counterpart. So Starfleet was most likely aware of the principle for over a century before someone, possibly Scotty Prime himself, developed it in the 24th century prior to 2387.

Christopher wrote: View Post
So we're left with a dead Tribble and a dead human who died hours earlier of radiation injuries. If you think about it, that's actually a pretty specific medical use. Khan's Blood can apparently be used to repair cellular damage, even after death if it's done relatively quickly in humans. (I assume Tribbles are much simpler biologically, given them a longer "shelf-life".) Very easy to believe that it wouldn't work after, say, 48 hours, or wouldn't cure gross-level injuries like a broken neck or spine.
I agree. Also, I'm not sure that something which regenerates the body's own cells would have the ability to kill an infection; indeed, what if it has the same growth-enhancing effect on the disease microbes or cancer cells that it does on the normal cells of the body? What if it creates a cancer risk when used on normal, non-Augmented humanoids? After all, cancer is just the body's normal cell-growth process running out of control.

Bottom line, there's no such thing as a wonder drug that cures every kind of life-threatening condition, since there are so many different ways for the body to fail. A treatment that's a miracle cure for some conditions might be useless or dangerous when used for other conditions or injuries.
Definitely agree with all that you've said. I hope someone, somewhere, runs with that cancer analogy. I think there's a great story in there. (Regarding the infection question, Khan's Blood might be useful for strengthening antibodies or the immune system in general. But your points remain.)

The writers could decide to run in the other direction and make Khan's Blood very versatile. That could be interesting, if done right. But they don't have to do so, and a lot of reviews I've seen of the movie seem to be arriving at the erroneous conclusion that Khan's Blood must be a universal panacea, and therefore something that detracts from the film.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote