View Single Post
Old June 2 2013, 01:49 AM   #116
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK: a series treatment starring APRIL and COLT

Many many years ago I had a lengthy chat with the late-great Carl Sautter, a lovely man , who was nominated for several Emmys and won two Writer's Guild Awards for episodes of Moonlighting he co-wrote (the sublime The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice, and It's a Wonderful Job), and he gave me a lot of really practical advice on scriptwriting and the business side of it for which I remain thankful for to this day.

A screenplay I was hired to rewrite was briefly attached to Alexander Witt as director and Ridley Scott as a producing partner before moving to another director (it might still happen), so I'm not unfamiliar with some aspects of the biz. The criticism I've seen here is mild compared to some of the stuff I've seen and the notes I've given/gotten.

Frankly, I LIKE criticism because it makes me look at the work from a different perspective, often to the work's improvement. For instance, I told a producer I know about a TV series pitch I was working up, and he cut to the chase by asking, "Where's the sexy?" which may sound glib, but he was asking where the excitement is in the show. Immensely valuable.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote