View Single Post
Old June 2 2013, 12:18 AM   #97
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: New Treknology Into Darkness

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Are you being serious or facetious?
Lol - I'm never being that serious on these sites but the degree of space time distortion created even by massive objects such as a star doesn't really correlate to warp drive.
That's because the effects of warp drive are limited to the immediate vicinity around a starship and generally vanish when the ship drops out of warp. You may or may not have noticed that the Enterprise's use of warp in the solar system wasn't really that big of a risk to anything except the Enterprise, with its untested engine and lack of proper simulation (that and a random asteroid that happened to cross into its path).

TNG also showed us that subspace fractures can occur.
In a specific region of space that nobody cares about, in an episode that was thoroughly forgettable and whose plot repercussions were eventually ignored.

The weird thing is that I can watch Star Wars and have no problem believing that the Millennium Falcon can take off easily. I think it's just because Enterprise just looks like it was never designed to land and had never (previously) landed and we were led to believe that these ships were constructed in space that led to the changes being so jarring.
So I guess the only real difference between you and me is that you never played Halo.

There's a school of thought in Scifi these days that truly advanced starships should not only be capable of operating in an atmosphere, but also fighting in them. Partly that's because being on the ground and seeing two distant dots shooting at other distant dots isn't all that dramatically interesting, but mostly it's because of the issue of scale: in the REAL WORLD, naval vessels exchange fire at distances of a few dozen to a few hundred kilometers and usually they do so over a contested piece of realestate. If a starship wants to support an operation to hold, say, a city or a shipyard, it needs to be able to hover over that shipyard and blast the crap out of anyone who comes near it (or, in the reverse case, blast the crap out of the shipyard without having to wait two hours for its orbit to bring it back into firing position).

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; June 2 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Crazy Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote