View Single Post
Old June 1 2013, 11:50 PM   #95
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: New Treknology Into Darkness

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Actually, let's reflect on that for a moment. Every space ship ever made in history has had some capability to operate in an atmosphere; at a bare minimum, they've been equipped with parachutes and float devices. More advanced concepts have had wings and landing gear for glide landings, and SpaceX is developing capsules capable of propulsive landings at a prearranged landing site. Is it really all that strange to think that that same basic capability wouldn't be preserved and enhanced over two hundred years?
Every spaceship in history has been tiny compared to the Enterprise
And with both a power output and a maximum acceleration almost infinitely smaller. If the space shuttle orbiter had been equipped with anything even half as powerful as an impulse engine it would be able to maneuver in and out of planetary atmospheres on a whim; that for a slight upgrade of 1970s technology.

and if you look at how much energy it takes to get them up and out of the atmosphere and scale that up to the size of the JJprise and other starships it must be obvious where I'm coming from.
It's also obvious that YOU haven't.

It depends on the actual mass of the Enterprise and what is actually propelling the ship against gravity. At the high end of this assumption, the ship is using antigravs and subspace fields to cheat the normal laws of inertia in which case its thrust/energy requirements could be very, VERY low, comparable to that of a Saturn-V rocket at liftoff.

At the low end, assuming a ship of 210,000 tons with no subspace trickery available and only thrusters/impulse engines, a ship the size of the Enterprise would require something like 10,500 meganewtons of thrust, or the equivalent of 300 Saturn-V rockets. That works out to 42.46 terawatts, which is about the amount of energy you would get by reacting 500 milligrams of matter and antimatter.

The Enterprise is capable of consuming matter and antimatter without irradiating/crushing/demolishing everything within a hundred kilometers of it. We've seen starships going to warp in asteroid fields, in nebulas, even in planetary atmospheres without destroying everything around them. Whether you know anything about how these ships work or not, it's plainly obvious that starship engines -- even impulse engines -- are not entirely newtonian in nature and are massively cheating the "action/reaction" balance. HOW they do this is an open question; THAT they do this is long since closed for debate.

I realise that you can invent magical technology that overcomes the energy needed to lift something that heavy...
I don't have to invent anything. Star Trek has done that for me. It's called a "warp core." Whether you realize it or not, the amount of energy needed to power a ship out of a planet's gravity well is miniscule compared to the power needed to propel that same ship to the speed of light.

I'd pity the Iowa farms caught in that backwash.
I would too if the Enterprise was constructed using early 21st century technology.