View Single Post
Old June 1 2013, 09:45 PM   #215
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I step out of my comfort zone sometimes, and it can work out (like watching Memento and inception and liking both) but I draw the line at an 80's "psychological" thriller about an obsessed woman that look like a stupid "chick flick".
Fatal Attraction isn't a "chick flick".
You could be right. Just from reading about it on wikipedia, it seemed like it would be a "chick flick". Wikipedia says the movie is about a woman obsessed with a man who uses her to cheat on his wife, then gets rid of her. That sounds like a movie with a demographic that is mainly women. It doesn't really matter, though. it still seems like a stupid 80's movie to me.

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Really? You're comparing Sam Jackson, who has had to do a lot of action in some movies, to the 66 year old woman who, just from a glance, is not the kind of actress who does many action movies? Thats like saying Jim Carey should play a serious FDR, or Sylvester Stallone should play Hamlet. Some roles aren't for certain actors, and i'll say right now that the 66 year old woman who is not an action star by any stretch is not the kind of person you'd hire to play an action role. Like I said, I can see a few situations where it might work, but not all actors/actresses can do everything, and sometimes it is a matter of age, and not everyone makes sense for every role. Glenn Close as an active, fighting, member of the Nova Corps is up there with the other examples I mentioned as roles actors just don't make sense for. Make her the wise old leader, it would be fine, but she's not an action star and doesn't seem to have too much experience with that stuff.
Now you're not only being ageist, you're being a typecaster. By the logic you're using, actors should only work in the niche/genre of acting with which they're most easily recognizable, and that's not the way acting works. Even a decent actor can take on roles from multiple genres/niches of acting, and Glenn Close is a phenomenal actor, as is evidenced by the multiple awards she's either won or been nominated for.

Saying she can't do an action film just because she doesn't typically take projects in that genre is like saying that an actor or director who has only done television projects can't work in feature-length films, which is ridiculous.

We're talking about a woman whose best years, physically, are behind her. She does not look like a superhero, and I'm sure she's not up for real superhero action movie stuff. Not that she'd need to, if they had her character do anything it would probably be completely CGI anyway, but its still just a stupid idea. She doesn't fit as a superhero or someone similar, its as simple as that.

You can't cast anyone for every role in movies. If she can be the leader of the Nova Corps, you might as well fire Saldana and hire Betty White as Galmora. By the logic of people that think Glenn Close would make a good space cop, Betty white in skimpy clothing and green make up probably makes just as much sense. Anyone who says that would be weird, wrong or just gross? You're prejudiced against old ladies who could be great actors. Everyone must be able to do every part. Someone call John Goodman, because the next Fantastic Four movie probably needs a Human Torch, and (since everyone can play every role) he might as well get the part..
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote