View Single Post
Old June 1 2013, 08:07 PM   #56
Ryva Brall
Commander

Re: Movies that OFFEND you

The only movie I can ever recall being offended by was Guy Ritchie's "Sherlock Holmes", with Robert Downey, Jr. Nothing against RDJ; I loved him in "Chaplin", and I love him as Tony Stark. But Sherlock Holmes has been my favorite fictional character since I was thirteen, and that movie just made me want to throw things. I never had high hopes for it, but I tried to keep an open mind, because I didn't want to be one of those hard-core traditionalists. But I guess that's what I am. Apparently the director didn't think that audiences would be interested in a movie built around Holmes's brilliant feats of deductive reasoning, so he went with fistfights and explosions. I know, Holmes is an excellent boxer and swordsman, but he's no action hero. His greatest strength is his mind, but there was barely any of that in Ritchie's film. Just a lot of cheap thrills and pandering to the lowest common denominator. I refuse to even watch the sequel. Even though I always said Stephen Fry would make a great Mycroft.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. Holmes is just very near and dear to my heart. On the other hand, I am a big fan of BBC's "Sherlock". So far it's done a great job bringing Holmes into the modern age, while preserving the spirit of the original stories.