View Single Post
Old June 1 2013, 07:13 PM   #6155
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

This is my last say on the subject, as it's not about Superman...

kirk55555 wrote: View Post

I'm not trying to take down all silent films. On the other hand, a silent film in this day and age is just an artsy film for critics, period.
Really? Because the theater I saw it in wasn't full of critics. I'm not a critic. And everyone really enjoyed the movie. An art film doesn't make 133 million dollars world wide.

It's a FUN movie. It's got a lot of heart and soul. And incredibly charming performances. It's not an art film. It's done by the same guy who did the OSS 117 movies.

AND, the reason it's a silent movie is actually a part of it's story. I can't say more without spoiling it.

I can accept people using black and white and not strictly trying to make a movie for artsy movie critics, but a silent movie?
Why is black and white ok but not sound? That just seems random.

Why don't they just start giving out awards to cave paintings. They only made silent movies because they couldn't do movies with dialog.
They could do movies with dialogue. They used cards. You mean they couldn't do movie with sound, yes. Just like they made black and white movies because they couldn't do them with color.

It was a story telling CHOICE in The Artist.

As soon as they could, I'm pretty sure silent films basically disappeared. Its fine if people like it, but to me its just confusing and laughable to see a silent movie win anything outside of some film festival award.
It's confusing and laughable because you didn't see it. You are bound by a very narrow taste. And that's sorta sad.

It's like only eating hamburgers all of your life because you only like hamburgers. There is SO much more out there...

...but, I know, it's falling on deaf ears... so, with that...

I can't wait to see Man of Steel. It's the next big movie I'm putting on my calender...