View Single Post
Old June 1 2013, 07:11 PM   #56
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: "After Earth" - Trailer (M. Night Shyamalan, Will & Jayden Smith)

I just saw After Earth. I thought it was okay. I had seen a lot of negative reviews for it and I don't think the film deserves all the hate. I don't think it's a summer blockbuster film though. They should've released this in April or late summer where the expectations wouldn't be so high and the competition wouldn't be so fierce. Or maybe released it around Father's Day to market it as a holiday film.

I liked the look and feel of the film for the most part. I liked the smart suit, space ships, and the cutlass. The Ursa was okay though it could've been designed to look a little better. I did have some dislikes:

-I didn't like the way Will Smith and his family talked. I guess they were trying to sound futuristic, but I wish they had just used their regular voices.
-Some of the CGI and backgrounds didn't always look good.
-There was no explanation for why everything on Earth had evolved to kill humans. And how would Will Smith know that?
-I wish the animals had been more exotic looking and there had been another challenge or two for Jaden.
-Jaden I'm iffy on. Sometimes he was a bit too whiny, but he is a teenager so what do you expect?
-One of the things that intrigued me about this movie was that they developed a back story hundreds of pages long, a whole history and we don't really see much of that at all in the film. I wish they had went into a little more depth about why humans had left Earth, who dropped those creatures on them, and what happened to those aliens? (I picked up the After Earth prequel and the novelization before the film so hopefully that will answer my questions, because I don't think there's going to be a sequel, though if that had been planned, the film didn't do much to set that up.)
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote