View Single Post
Old June 1 2013, 11:13 AM   #30
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: Strange Dark Matter Theory

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Just like the "average person" can't become a neurosurgeon just because they'd really like to, the "average person" can't suddenly become an expert in astrophysics because "all that science-y talk is hard, man: let's make it simpler!".
Pavonis wrote: View Post
What is it about cosmology and particle physics that attracts so many laypersons to throw their two cents in?
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
- Albert Einstein (Which is also attributed to Richard Feynman by some people)

Just remember, Einstein's famous equation - E equals m times c squared - is 8th grade or Freshman year math, no matter the physics behind it.

Lay people get honorary degrees all the time. These scientists aren't magicians. You can learn their 'secrets'. When I ace'd my Astronomy class in college, it didn't make me better than some hobbyist who never took a class, but has read every book on the subject for the last 2 decades. That amateur could possibly know more than some college professors.

Don't get stuck on the credentials.

It is the height of arrogance to think that no one can learn this. Or that any of the scientists couldn't be wrong.
Even Einstein got a lot of stuff wrong, like the cosmological constant. A lot of layperson theory is limited by a lack of knowledge and a desire for things to be simpler than they are. Yes, in the end a lot of this stuff does turn out to be 'simple' and clean, but most people who aren't schooled in such things tend to approach science from the flawed direction of coming to a conclusion and seeking evidence to support it while ignoring evidence that does not.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote