View Single Post
Old June 1 2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Let's Discuss the Romulan Bird of Prey!

Unicron wrote: View Post
Have you seen the 1977 bluepints? I can't think of too many other technical sources for the BOP. The crew suggested here is around 170, while FASA suggested 150 and their improved model had 162.
I am familiar with those! But, I'm trying to start more from scratch, here. I know there isn't too terrible much from the show to draw on...

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Albertese wrote: View Post
For example, how big is this ship? The markings along the edge, if considered to be windows comparable to the Enterprise's would suggest a rim that's three decks thick. Maybe they're not windows and the ship is quite small, like the Klingon BoP from Star Trek III, IV, and VI. If they aren't windows, then what might they be?
I believe these markings along the edge to be portholes that give us a vague idea about the actual size and I have little doubt that the command center is located on top.

Do you suppose the TNG era artificial singularity power source was already in use during the 2260's?
No. To me the whole vessel always seemed like a flying fusion reactor in space where something was done with the fusion plasma to accelerate it to warp speed and mix it with some volatile ingredient.
I pretty well agree with this flying fusion reactor idea.

What might the internal layout be like? Are there any small craft, like shuttles and such? Can the ship land?
I always envisoned the Bird of Prey had some kind of small craft aboard and that it would have looked like Lazarus' craft from "The Alternative Factor", something reminiscent of an egg (it's a bird) and a little submarine thingy.

Bob
Interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it looking like an egg... seems to thematically cute to me... but... maybe. I wonder where the hangar would be.

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
For example, how big is this ship? The markings along the edge, if considered to be windows comparable to the Enterprise's would suggest a rim that's three decks thick.
That's kinda what I'm thinking based on the exterior.

How big a crew is there? What sort of facilities are there for them? Is the whole ship as cramped looking as the bridge we see in "Balance of Terror?" I wonder how closly riding in one of these would compare to a mid-twentieth Century diesel sub...
That's anyone's guess. But I suppose if the only part we see is the bridge and extended it to the rest of the ship then living space would be pretty tight like a submarine. Probably the fuel, engines, cloaking device and super weapon takes up the rest of the volume of the ship.
This makes sense.

Do you suppose the TNG era artificial singularity power source was already in use during the 2260's?
Doubtful. The TNG AQS was supposedly able to run practically forever. The TOS Romulan BOP had limited fuel and had to juggle her fuel usage between engines and weapons.
Excellent point. Yet, something still prevents the modern Warbirds from firing while cloaked... I wonder what prevents them from doing so. Perhaps the power requirements for cloaking such a huge vessel still preclude the use of weapons while cloaked. Sensors don't seem effected by the cloak so why should that screw with targeting? I really don't know... I'm just kinda "thinking out loud" here...

What might the internal layout be like? Are there any small craft, like shuttles and such? Can the ship land?
Dunno. Any guess could work. Do they even have transporters at that time or was it all part of the trade with the Klingons to get new tech?
That's a good question regarding the presence of transporters. I don't know if there is anything that says that either way...

--Alex